Write For Us
Want to submit a tutorial to Gamedevtuts+? We only accept tutorials that match the site’s standards of both writing and tutorial content, from experienced game developers. If your tutorial is accepted, we’ll pay an agreed USD rate (discussed upon submission) per tutorial published, and you’ll get to help your fellow devs!
What We’re Looking For
We are looking for extensive tutorials, articles, tips, and screencasts on these subjects:
- Game Design
- Level Design
- Business / Being a Game Developer
We take a platform-agnostic approach, which essentially means that tutorials can be written in any relevant programming language, as long as readers that use different languages can understand them – so a tutorial specifically about learning to code with one development platform is probably not appropriate.
Since the Tuts+ Network has other sites devoted to mobile development, computer illustration, 3D modelling, and sound production, we’re not aiming to cover those topics on Gamedevtuts+. However, those sites may be looking for new writers themselves…
You can also get a good idea of what we’re looking for based on what we’ve published already. If you’re not sure whether your idea is suitable then just send us a pitch anyway, along with a list of games you’ve worked on and an introduction to yourself – we can always discuss other ideas with you!
Send Us a Pitch Now
If you’re interested, please take a look at the important information below and read the Author Guide, which details everything from formatting to invoicing. If you’re happy with everything, pitch your idea to us using this form. Include examples of games that you’ve worked on before, and if you’ve written any other articles, include links to a few of those, too.
You can submit a specific idea for a tutorial, or just introduce yourself and explain what kind of content you’d be best suited to write. There’s no need to submit a complete tutorial – in fact, we’d prefer it if you didn’t! – but the more details you include, the better.
We’re looking forward to receiving your pitch!
Other Important Information
Before you submit anything, check that you understand and are happy with all of these points:
- Your tutorial must be your original work and not published elsewhere. Envato will retain the digital publishing rights exclusively.
- You must have a PayPal or MoneyBookers account for us to pay you; this fee will be paid within the first two weeks of the month after your article is published (in USD).
- You will need to format your tutorial using an HTML template that the editor provides.
- Your tutorial may be edited prior to publishing.
- Your editor will send through a simple contract for you to look through and sign, relating to your work as an Envato Author.